Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Day of the Cowboy and Cowgirl

Wish you were here.



This was the event I wanted to attend so so so badly since I saw it advertised on Goldstar. And two days before the actual event, I got my friend S. to come along and it was soooo much fun, as fun as a girl who's writing about the West can be. If you're ever in Los Angeles and can't get cowboys out of your head, the Autry National Center is the place to visit. Tucked in the hills of Griffith Park and right across the street from the Los Angeles Zoo (which, I tell you now, is sort of sad and I don't recommend it), the Autry leads your through the last century from Moving West to Movie Cowboys.

Taken inside the Autry's giftshop. Get it?
I didn't even know there was a Day of the Cowboy (though there's a National Day for Ice Cream, but everyone loves ice cream and therefore should take note). Although there were many kids, it wasn't like Disneyland where everywhere you step could be on a child or multiple parents plowing strollers into your way (which should be a safety/fire hazard). There was a gunslinger, panning for gold (flecks, I should add), cowboy street market (indoors AND air conditioned), blacksmiths and chuck wagons, and of course, the museum itself. So, it was like a Western writer's happy place on so many levels.S. panning for gold. She was so excited to do it too.Vaqueros doing their fancy roping.

I didn't mind that my story only takes place partially in the West, or that many of the exhibits I couldn't use being that they consisted of Indian heritage (though, I'm sure, if you wanted to research weaving baskets, they have a whole section you could study).
That being said, it was hot and wonderful, and I took a lot of pictures with strangers who had dressed up for the occasion, reveling in a past that's too much of our history to forget.

The Sheriff's Posse on horses. The only bummer of the day was that there was no horseback riding, though I specifically read there would be. No biggie.

Leather Crafting. Two seats and a thousand people in line? Not good planning.

Carriage, circa 1850s.How to Cheat with Cards. A Remy must. Backside of the bar. Not very pretty. Yes we did eat beef bbq sandwiches and enjoyed them too.
Hope this little bit keeps you inspired! Maybe I'll see you next year...?


I'm feeling chipper.

No comments:

Post a Comment